On a rainy day in January, I remember Corsica last summer
![]() |
| Sunset over Porto by Keren Bensoussan |
![]() | |||||
| Creek beneath a bridge near Corte by Keren Bensoussan |
We drove around the island starting from the south, moving up the west coast to the top of the Cap and then back down the east coast. Before reaching south again, we drove inside and all the way up to the highest mountainous areas all in five days. Many people thought we were crazy for doing so, but having the desire to do this showed us just how different each pole actually was, in a short and succinct vision.
In a nutshell, the south is popular and always full of tourists, the west has very windy roads and breathtakingly beautiful views, the north tip is the friendliest and the poorest, the east is the least friendly and also the least interesting, and the center of Corsica is the greenest and the most adventurous.
![]() |
| Views from Cap Corse by Keren Bensoussan |
![]() |
| Getting whipped by a 100 mile/hour wind at the old windmill at the very top of Cap Corse by Keren Bensoussan |
![]() |
| View from Cap Corse by Keren Bensoussan |
Napolean was Corsican and then lived in Parma with his second wife, the Italian Maria Luigia. I happened to have lived in Parma, Italy for eight months and found that it resembled more an Italian version of Paris (aptly named Little Paris) than anything Corsican. And while I enjoyed the fashion and food in Parma to my heart's content, in Corsica I enjoyed doing crazier things like jumping off cliffs and white water rafting on my back. But I don't think I'll ever do that again.
This leads me to the other difference. I had mentioned only two because they struck me the most. Inasmuch as Corsica is wild and rugged, Sardinia is sweet and gentle. Corsica is smaller but has more variety. You can go to the beach and you can go skiing. You can go hiking in the high mountains and horseback riding in the hills, and you can drink a café-crème in Bastia while sitting at a table outdoors and watching the people go by. There are lots of outlets and stores on the east coast, so you can also go shopping (which I did- the prices are better than on the west coast).
And here is another comparison to make my point: whilst Corsican rebels are in your face angry with their political agendas, Sardinian bandits hide out in tiny mountainous villages and only come out to kidnap. Not to say that the bandits are any sweeter than the rebels, but Sardinians are known to be reserved. It's all part of the environment.
![]() |
| Corsican roads by Keren Bensoussan |
![]() |
| French bull by Keren Bensoussan |
![]() | ||
| Symbol of Corsica on TV channel in Bastia by Keren Bensoussan |
Although I heard it was a myth originating from a love story, I find it kind of hard to believe that a poor moor made it on the flag for this reason. (In that case why not put Romeo on the flag of Italy?)
More concrete facts of how the symbol (which also resembles the Sardinian flag quite a bit due to the Aragons visit on both islands) made it onto the Corsican flag can be found here : www.corsica.net.
I'm glad I visited and I'm glad I live so close by. Corsica is definitely worth a visit!









0 comments:
Post a Comment