Friday, August 20, 2010

Summing it up: Summer in Alghero


It's mid August which means Fall is just around the corner, summer is almost over and gulp, my fellow Librans and I will all be a year older. But what better way to grow older and wiser than to enjoy life as much as possible. Which is what this last summer was all about.

There were lots of beach days, espressos, zipping around on the motorbike with the warm breeze blowing in the air, fresh mussels, meditation at sunset, yoga at sunrise, new pink bicycle, day trips, good meals, sweet boyfriend and to top it all off, two new kitties, Nina Birichina and Tony Buddha.

Porticciolo Beach, Alghero,Sardinia © Keren Bensoussan 2010
There are many highlights but I will name just a few of the great discoveries I made. Neptunes Caves for example is one of Alghero's gems. It is only possible to get there by boat or by taking the windy road down 656 steps ... and then back up again! But of course... it's worth it! For further information go here: http://www.algherosardinia.net/neptunes-grotto.html

The entrance to Neptune's Caves Alghero,Sardinia © Keren Bensoussan 2010
Road down to Neptune's Caves Alghero,Sardinia © Keren Bensoussan 2010
Yoga and meditation have also been part of the beautiful summer. I have met some wonderful new yoga students who discovered the amazing feeling of doing a morning practice at 7am. For an hour and a half we saluted the sun as it rose over the beautiful Alghero sea. On other occasions, we meditated at sunset and beneath a starry night on the beach with the Scuola di Meditazione.

Morning yoga Alghero,Sardinia © Keren Bensoussan 2010


Meditation at Sunset in Alghero,Sardinia © Keren Bensoussan 2010


There is great satisfaction in doing a job you love and working hard at it, as there is in knowing how to relax and take care of our soul.

Included in this is connecting with friends over a delicious cappuccino and sharing a few smiles, laughs and experiences.

Alghero is the perfect place to get on a bicycle and spontaneously meet friends for a drinkable work of art. This one below is called a Marocchino because it's mixed with chocolate and therefore, dark and sweet like Moroccans. Well, being half Moroccan myself, I am definitely a fan of this sweet coffee although I don't think it actually exists in Morocco!


Marocchino at Cafe Milese Alghero,Sardinia © Keren Bensoussan 2010

Admiring the sea by the tower, Piazza Sulis Alghero,Sardinia © Keren Bensoussan 2010
Hot peppers from the Alghero market © Keren Bensoussan 2010
The Wednesday market in Alghero is always something I look forward to. It's an outdoor market off via Don Minzoni where local producers sell fresh fruit, vegetables, cheese, pane Carasau, olives, sausage, Sardinian products and lots of clothing! I generally buy fruit and vegetables and an oven baked pane Carasau but recently I bought these red hot peppers. Not to eat because they're definitely too spicey, but to hang in my kitchen as decoration and also to keep away the evil eye! Yes, the red horn is also worn as a necklace charm made of Sardinian coral to protect from envy.

Tony Buddha and Nina Biricchina © Keren Bensoussan 2010

You just never know the gifts life will present you with! This summer I was thrilled to have two adorable kittens join me. My boyfriend had never actually had a domestic cat so it was really fun to see him falling in love with such sweet creatures. They came a couple of weeks apart and from separate parts of Alghero so the territorial rights had to be defined the first couple of days. After that, they became best friends.

Next I'll be writing about my trips to Palau, La Maddalena, Santa Teresa di Gallura and Corsica.
Stay tuned ...
Biking towards Fertilia is this beautiful field Alghero,Sardinia © Keren Bensoussan 2010

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by http://astojiwo2012.blogspot.com/ 2008

Back to TOP