Saturday, June 19, 2010

Where Angels Fear to Tred

"
"Savanna, Kenya, Africa" photo: Keren Bensoussan

I'm back in Alghero, Sardinia! I've been told that I tend to appear and disappear "like angels do" so for some I'm back and for others, well, I've disappeared once again and gone "where angels fear to tred."

I'm not a very good blogger to say the least, but that's because I need to accumulate interesting things to share. Hopefully, something good will come to mind today since I've decided to blog.

So where have I been the last few months? From the gorgeous island of Sardinia to many parts of "il continente" in Italy, to the Savanna in Africa, the comfort of home in Canada, and cultural exploration in Spain. The immense gratification I get from travelling and meeting new people is immeasurable. But more importantly, it is the way in which travel opens the mind and heart that keeps me going.

As an English teacher it gives me something to talk about other than grammar. My favorite teachers have always been the ones that were passionate about their subjects, although it was clear that their passions ran much deeper. Their passion for life and for people was evident which kept me interested in attending class and studying. I want to be that kind of teacher too.

As a Yoga teacher, travelling deepens my spirituality and opens my heart and mind. The poverty I witnessed in Africa not only inspired the compassion I feel for humanity and the underprivileged, but also taught me about my own personal limits. Being caucasian and female and often travelling on my own, inspires all kinds of assumptions and judgments from both the rich and educated and the poor and uneducated. And although it has not always been easy to explain why I do what I do, I have learned that people with limited experience have forced me to face my own limits too. In this way, the most frustrating experiences have pushed me to grow out of my own cramped inner spaces.

My goal in Africa was to go on a Safari and fulfill a life-long dream. Seeing wild animals up close was really exhilirating, but what impressed me more was the landscape and the red earth. Being an intuitive, I tend to feel more strongly what is unseen rather than what is seen which often intensifies my experience in ways that are difficult to describe in words. So beyond the wild beauty that can be seen with the naked eye, I experienced panic and desperation which I then got to witness first hand when locals unashamedly clung on to me for dear life; begging me to take them back with me wherever I was going next. 

I also had the opportunity to visit a local school where children who were less poor had the opportunity to study. Then there were the village children who waited by the road for candy and notebooks. One came up to me and said, "give me your bag" (of course I didn't).

It is true that to be safe it is best to travel with organized groups, but mixing with the people is where I am able to feel the heart and soul of the culture. The locals tried to convince me to take an over-priced taxi, but I chose to take the tuk tuks and the public buses where I got to sit next to humble mothers with their babies and well-dressed fathers going to work. It is important to sit next to people and forget our differences. Somehow this frees me.

Although I can go on and talk more about my other travels, there is really nothing as interesting to share. Coming face to face with the Masai Tribes and seeing the confusion in their eyes when I refused to buy everything they were selling was like piercing my soul with a spear. Through the window of their soul, I am nothing but a "rich white person" telling me, "we are poor black people." 

And then of course there was the one ray of light I came across by chance walking through yet another poor village. This little girl was sitting on a counter next to her mother's jewelry table. When I looked at this little girl I spontaneously smiled and said hello and in return she suddenly threw herself into my arms and started to laugh and hug me and shower me with love. The bystanders ("beach boys") stood in awe and decided that (according to their superstition), I was "fortunate." To me, it was a soul connection. This poor little girl had a spirit of light and was filled with joy and I simply recognized it. 

I decided to buy a hematite necklace from her mother as a gift for my grandmother. A bossy man (who seemed more like a pimp) then showed up and decided to take over the "shop." In other words, try to get as much money out of me as possible. I looked at the little girl and hoped the money would help her in some way, so I stopped bargaining and gave him his asking price. Perhaps he thought he was victorious, but in my mind, an encounter with an angel is truly priceless.
Me with the little girl in Kenya, Africa





0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by http://astojiwo2012.blogspot.com/ 2008

Back to TOP