Thanksgiving in Alghero
It's been a few years since I celebrated Thanksgiving, mainly because I left the U.S. and moved to Europe. So last night's Thanksgiving dinner in Alghero, Sardinia was extra special.
We ate at Tre Torre in the Largo San Francesco where the chef, who is Italian, learned to make Thanksgiving dinner while he lived in New York for three years. He still can't speak English, but he can make a rather refined version of Thanksgiving dinner.
A group of 54 people including staff and students joined in for the festive night, some of whom were delighted to experience it for the very first time in their lives. Turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing with chestnuts (which are in season here right now), turkey with gravy, apple pie and pumpkin pie were made to perfection, perhaps even too perfect! The only Thanksgiving staple missing was my favorite part- the cranberry sauce.
When I lived in the U.S. my Thanksgiving dinners were traditional to the American style of preparing these typical dishes. However, here in Sardinia, Italy, the experience was elevated to a refined level that made many wonder if this was indeed an American Thanksgiving!
Buon appetito!
The appetizer is what gave it away immediately. When the plates of crostini con formaggio e prosciutto were placed in front of us along with a caraffe of red wine and one of white wine, I immediately turned to my colleague and said, "this is Thanksgiving?" to which she said, "well, it's the best I could do!" (Because she was involved in the organization.)
Some of the students were expecting to see a big bird on the table, stuffed with something they'd never heard of, "stuffing." But instead it came out in slices on a large, white square plate. Personally, I absolutely loved the presentation which was nothing short of a work of art, as most things are in Italy. They will just have to go to the U.S. to have a first hand experience of Thanksgiving, American style!
After the feast, I joined a few people in a digestivo to help digest the food. However, a Thursday night in Alghero means everything is pretty much closed by 11pm. We managed to find one bar still open and chatted over a Mirto bianco and Limoncello. Usually, a Mirto (which I liken to Drano) manages to help break down whatever is in my stomach, but the Thanksgiving dinner, albeit refined, was still heavy by Italian standards, and so this time, the Mirto didn't work.
As I walked back home, (hoping the walk would do the trick) I could hear the sound of my heels echoing on the sidewalk. It was perfectly quiet and the temperature was deliciously perfect as well. When we arrived at Tre Torre, earlier in the evening, there was a slight chill in the air, but by the time we left at midnight, a warm rain had gently cleansed the night. It was so tranquil and balmy it was as though I were relaxing in my own private bath. The feeling of safety also provides a sensation of intimacy, all whilst walking the public streets at night.
So, Thanksgiving in Alghero, Sardinia was a pure delight, and I am thankful for having had the opportunity to experience it Italian style!
We ate at Tre Torre in the Largo San Francesco where the chef, who is Italian, learned to make Thanksgiving dinner while he lived in New York for three years. He still can't speak English, but he can make a rather refined version of Thanksgiving dinner.
A group of 54 people including staff and students joined in for the festive night, some of whom were delighted to experience it for the very first time in their lives. Turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing with chestnuts (which are in season here right now), turkey with gravy, apple pie and pumpkin pie were made to perfection, perhaps even too perfect! The only Thanksgiving staple missing was my favorite part- the cranberry sauce.
When I lived in the U.S. my Thanksgiving dinners were traditional to the American style of preparing these typical dishes. However, here in Sardinia, Italy, the experience was elevated to a refined level that made many wonder if this was indeed an American Thanksgiving!
Buon appetito!
The appetizer is what gave it away immediately. When the plates of crostini con formaggio e prosciutto were placed in front of us along with a caraffe of red wine and one of white wine, I immediately turned to my colleague and said, "this is Thanksgiving?" to which she said, "well, it's the best I could do!" (Because she was involved in the organization.)
Some of the students were expecting to see a big bird on the table, stuffed with something they'd never heard of, "stuffing." But instead it came out in slices on a large, white square plate. Personally, I absolutely loved the presentation which was nothing short of a work of art, as most things are in Italy. They will just have to go to the U.S. to have a first hand experience of Thanksgiving, American style!
After the feast, I joined a few people in a digestivo to help digest the food. However, a Thursday night in Alghero means everything is pretty much closed by 11pm. We managed to find one bar still open and chatted over a Mirto bianco and Limoncello. Usually, a Mirto (which I liken to Drano) manages to help break down whatever is in my stomach, but the Thanksgiving dinner, albeit refined, was still heavy by Italian standards, and so this time, the Mirto didn't work.
As I walked back home, (hoping the walk would do the trick) I could hear the sound of my heels echoing on the sidewalk. It was perfectly quiet and the temperature was deliciously perfect as well. When we arrived at Tre Torre, earlier in the evening, there was a slight chill in the air, but by the time we left at midnight, a warm rain had gently cleansed the night. It was so tranquil and balmy it was as though I were relaxing in my own private bath. The feeling of safety also provides a sensation of intimacy, all whilst walking the public streets at night.
So, Thanksgiving in Alghero, Sardinia was a pure delight, and I am thankful for having had the opportunity to experience it Italian style!

0 comments:
Post a Comment