Finding Treasures
(photo credit: internet)
I arrived in Alghero,Sardinia on September the 9th and now nine days later I can say that I have begun to settle into my new life on this Italian island.
I arrived in Alghero,
There was only one thing I new for sure before moving here: that it was beautiful. People unanimously tend to agree that Sardinia has the most beautiful beaches in the world. I haven’t seen the entire world (yet ;-) so I cannot say for sure that this is true, but I can definitely agree that there is something very special about Sardinia and it is even more beautiful than its beaches.
When you take a leap of faith something incredible happens: life takes care of you. I came here for a job which I am really enjoying so far, and having a job you enjoy is one of life’s greatest gifts. But within this gift was another even greater gift that I could not have ever imagined, because I don’t think I believed it existed.
The word “respect” tends to be loaded. Everybody wants it and most of the time, nobody gives it. The best example of this is attributed to parents, elders, teachers and bosses. These are roles that tend to assume that respect is automatically awarded to you because you have either been given your title, or you have earned it on your own. I have come to realize however, that at times the word “obedience” is better suited to some of these roles than perhaps “respect.”
But on this little island I have found this jewel called respect.
Treasure Island
The first day I arrived I felt myself sort of tilting on my axis. I know this sounds a bit odd, but that’s how it felt. I knew I needed to shift back onto my axis but I didn’t know what had caused it to tilt in the first place. I felt slightly uncomfortable and vulnerable at the same time. But mostly, I felt like a soldier who was now safe to put her arms down. In other words, I felt as though the walls and defenses that I have needed to protect myself in the past were unnecessary for some reason which meant only one thing: there is no threat. So I started to investigate and pay closer attention.
I had been told that people here are more introverted than the average Italian, but the word “respectful” never came up in the description. At first I thought people were just simply nice. In fact they were so nice I was a bit skeptical. But deep down I felt safe and trusted my intuition, at which point I began to shift back onto my axis. I was paying very close attention to people as I was not only curious but excited and awed by what I had found.
My first meeting with the director of the school was the day after I arrived. I was still quite jet-lagged and probably looked a bit catatonic. In the middle of the meeting the director stopped and said, “why are you staring at me like that?” My boss came to my rescue and said, “oh, she’s just a bit jet-lagged.” But the truth is, I had already begun my investigation.
Upon returning from work last night I ran into the lovely couple who is renting out their apartment to me. They asked me how work and life in general was going. I looked at them and said, “I love it here, something is different.” To which la Signora replied, “yes, people who come here always mention there is an x-factor that they can’t put their finger on.” So I asked, “well, what do you think it is?” And she replied, “do you know there is no crime here.” I didn’t respond. I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t know what to say because all I could think was, “so this is how people are when they feel safe. They respect each other.”
Although I hope to stay here for a while, I know that having found this jewel on my journey has renewed my faith in a way that I could have never expected. I landed in paradise not because of its physical beauty, but because of its inner beauty. And since we carry everything with us, this is one piece of luggage I will be happy to bring back home with me toMontreal , or wherever I may end up next.
Although I hope to stay here for a while, I know that having found this jewel on my journey has renewed my faith in a way that I could have never expected. I landed in paradise not because of its physical beauty, but because of its inner beauty. And since we carry everything with us, this is one piece of luggage I will be happy to bring back home with me to

0 comments:
Post a Comment