The Power of Alchemy
I first came across the power of alchemy from Paulo Coelho's novel, The Alchemist. I may be one of millions who was blown away by this amazing story of a boy on a journey to find his treasure, only to discover that the real treasures were part of the journey. There was so much spirituality, deep insight and pure magic in that book, that I ate it up like a good gelato.
What I am getting at though, is the depth at which a yoga practice can be alchemical. Alchemy is the process of turning metal into gold, and yoga is the process of turning stones into flowers, or to be less metaphorical, turning rigidity into flexibility, both of body and of mind.
I have been practicing yoga (Hatha, Ashtanga, Kundalini, Bikram) since I was 22 and it has lasted this long because it always had a positive effect on my life. So now that I am an officially certified Hatha Yoga Instructor, I will help spread its sweet perfume for others to enjoy.
Did I ever think I would become a yoga instructor? No, but here I am. The training I went through was not easy to say the least. It challenged me on all levels: physical, mental and spiritual. The only level I was able to keep under control was the emotional ... until the last day.
There is something quite moving about receiving a piece of paper that says, "you've done it, congratulations" for it encompasses much more that perhaps only tears can reveal.
I think my heart and soul led me here. It sounds cliche, but alas, it may be true.
My passion for truth instinctively burns wild fires through anything false, but in the face of truth I always humbly bow down. Its' power actually renders me speechless... and that is a miracle.
And so there it was in all its glory on graduation day. And as I greeted my teachers and saw the incredible light in their eyes, I knew that the alchemy of yoga had done its work. For humility only arrives where total respect is present.

0 comments:
Post a Comment